It’s been one week since President Trump nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch to succeed Justice Scalia on the Supreme Court. In that time, eight senators have already come out in defense of the Constitution and against Gorsuch’s nomination:
President Trump needs to earn 60 votes (for Gorsuch) in the Senate, but I am not one of them.
I will not vote for Judge Gorsuch. I will oppose his nomination.
The people of Ohio deserve Supreme Court Justices who will defend the rights of working families over Wall Street and corporate special interests – and Judge Gorsuch’s record doesn’t pass that test.
I plan to stand up for individuals over corporations and oppose his nomination, and I will insist that his nomination meet a traditional 60 vote threshold.
As an Appeals Court judge for more than a decade, Judge Gorsuch has authored or joined opinions that have demonstrated hostility to women’s reproductive rights, commonsense environmental regulations, and the rights of workers, consumers, and the disabled. I will not support the nomination of Judge Gorsuch.
This is a stolen seat being filled by an illegitimate and extreme nominee, and I will do everything in my power to stand up against this assault on the Court.
We cannot stand down when American values and constitutional principles are attacked. We cannot stand down while the President of the United States hands our highest court over to the highest bidder. And that is why I will oppose Judge Gorsuch’s nomination.
No Senator who believes that individual rights are reserved to the people, and not the government, can support this nomination.
Do you live in one of their states? If so, please call now and thank these senators for taking an early, strong stand against this unacceptable nominee. You can reach them at 202-224-3121.
Are you also on Twitter? Here are a few sample tweets—just fill in their Twitter handles: @SenatorBaldwin, @SenBookerOffice, @SenSherrodBrown, @SenGillibrand, @SenMarkey, @SenJeffMerkley, @SenWarren, @RonWyden.
- We need an independent #SCOTUS to protect our rights and defend our laws—Thank you @_____ for saying #StopGorsuch http://www.stopgorsuch.com
- Judge Gorsuch on #SCOTUS won’t check Trump—Thank you @_____ for saying #StopGorsuch http://www.stopgorsuch.com
- Constitution won’t be safe with Judge Gorsuch on #SCOTUS—Thank you @_____ for saying #StopGorsuch http://www.stopgorsuch.com
- Judge Gorsuch’s record doesn’t show respect for our constitutional values—Thank you @_____ for saying #StopGorsuch http://www.stopgorsuch.com
- Trump’s nominee for #SCOTUS has an extreme record & must be opposed—Thank you @_____ for saying #StopGorsuch http://www.stopgorsuch.com
We’ll keep you updated as more senators declare their positions.