People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion and equal opportunity for all. People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal and education work on behalf of constitutional freedoms and democratic values: monitors, exposes and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies,; identifies, trains and supports progressive leaders and carries out social justice and nonpartisan voter education and registration as well as other civic participation activities.
African American Religious Affairs (AARA) is a program of People For the American Way and People For the American Way Foundation. AARA endeavors to build a strong association of progressive pastors, clergy, theologians, seminarians and ministry lay leaders who encourage African American places of worship and communities to become more civically engaged. AARA works primarily with faith leaders in African American communities throughout the country on seven faith based initiatives.
The Program Assistant is a full time position and reports to the Director of AARA. This position works in collaboration with People For staff and is located in Washington, DC. The position requires initiative, flexibility and commitment to progressive issues and ideals.
- Provide general administrative support for AARA program activities.
- Help prepare and manage all communications/correspondence to AARA members.
- Manage all conferences/events of the AARA program including event logistics, budget information, working with appropriate staff to develop conference agendas, outreach to speakers and conference follow-up.
- Manage preparation and production of AARA social media pages as well as assist in content submission and management of AARA website.
- Assist with development of bi-weekly internal/external reports on AARA program activities, outreach and accomplishments.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be detail oriented, well-organized and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Working knowledge or experience with African American Faith Communities.
- Familiarity with Internet research and MSOffice applications, including spreadsheet and database programs.
- Excellent research, writing, editing and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work well both independently, with supervision and as part of a team.
- Willingness to learn, show initiative and creativity. Ability and willingness to travel.
- Interest in issues relating to intersection of religion, values and public policy.
- Strong commitment to social justice and People For the American Way’s issue agenda and the values of the AARA Program.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter and brief portfolio of graphic and video work to People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email to email@example.com.
People For the American Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer.