People For the American Way is a nationwide advocacy organization that mobilizes its members and activists to fight for public policies that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and equal opportunity; to champion constitutional protections and civil rights. People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; and identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders.
This is an excellent opportunity for a student to gain experience working in the development department of a national non-profit organization. The development department intern assists the development staff with various aspects of our fundraising activities related to donor research, event planning, mailings and outreach, and other cultivation activities.
- Prepare and help assemble major donor mailings and solicitations
- Assist in the creation of materials for donor solicitation events around the country
- Conduct research to evaluate current and prospective individual donors to match their interest with the program priorities of People for the American Way/People For the American Way Foundation
- Work with development staff to develop reports to aid in donor solicitation and tracking
- Analyze current donor files to help ensure the accuracy and timeliness of information in the files
- Conduct research on foundations to identify new donors whose grants portfolio match the program priorities of PFAW/F
- Assist with development and fundraising administrative tasks when needed
- Computer proficiency including experience using online research tools and MSOffice
- Excellent organizational and writing skills
- Great attention to detail
- An interest in non-profit development and a commitment to People For issues
Internships are unpaid, though academic credit may be available. We provide interns working six hours per day with an $8 per day per diem to help defray transportation costs to and from the People For office; some restrictions apply.
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Development Intern" in the subject line.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.