People For the American Way is a nationwide advocacy organization that mobilizes its members and activists to fight for public policies that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and equal opportunity; to champion constitutional protections and civil rights; to hold public officials accountable to those standards; and to promote strong democratic institutions, including a federal judiciary that upholds individual rights. The Public Policy department lobbies Congress and the Executive Branch on behalf of the organization to affect public policy at the national level, and also conducts some state and local advocacy.
The available Public Policy internship will help with the following activities, especially as they relate to money in politics and People For the American Way's Government By the People campaign:
- Perform legislative and policy research
- Perform legislative tracking
- Perform media research related to policy issues
- Draft letters to Congress and fact sheets
- Assist with various lobbying efforts
- Attend hearings, briefings, press conferences, coalition meetings, and other internal and external events
- Provide administrative support
- Other duties as assigned
Internships are unpaid, but we provide unpaid volunteer interns with an $8 per day per diem to help defray transportation costs to and from the People For office; some restrictions apply. We will also work with students to arrange academic credit and meet other program requirements.
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org, with "Public Policy Internship" in the subject line:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (Full document or excerpt of 5 pages or less)
- References (2-3 contacts with email addresses, if available)
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.