Young People For (YP4) is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated intern with high initiative and attention to detail to assist the Advanced Leadership Coordinator in daily department operations for the Fall of 2015.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation's fundamental rights and freedoms.
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversity leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term. The Advanced Leadership Department works to support the development of progressive leaders and participants in the progressive movement through the growing need for continuing opportunities of development for our alumni and young progressive activists from a broader experience. Within the next two years, the advanced leadership programs of Young People For will launch new programming that focuses on three specific areas: career and professional development, campaign and candidate development, and advanced leadership programs.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Advanced Leadership Coordinator.
- Support the Front Line Leaders Academy which includes the synchronization of recruitment, selection, curriculum, logistics, communication, evaluation, and other programmatic components.
- Conduct research on policy and social issues as they affect young elected officials and the fellowship class on the local level.
- Support program components of advanced leadership trainings designed for Fellows who have completed the first year of the Fellowship program including the Career Center and Senior Fellowship
- Support partnership outreach for events and trainings at national and local conferences and events
- Support the research and tracking of the FLLA network
- Contribute to the YP4 Blog, social media, and special projects, as interested
- Perform administrative support and duties as needed.
- Experience with grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Familiarity with MSOffice applications; experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes.
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues that Young People For Fellows and alumni work on: Campus Diversity, Voting Rights, Comprehensive Violence Reduction, Courts Matter, Criminal Justice Reform, Disability Rights, Economic Justice, Education, Environmental Conservation and Justice, Healthcare, Immigration, LGBTQ Rights, Money in Elections/Corporate Accountability, Native American Issues, Traditions, and Empowerment, Racial Justice, Reproductive Justice, Women's Rights, Workers' Rights
To apply: Send resume and statement of interest to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please put "YP4 Advanced Leadership Intern" in the subject line.
People For the American Way Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.