Young People For (YP4) is seeking an enthusiastic, organized, self-motivated intern with high initiative and attention to detail to assist the Alumni Program Coordinator in daily department operations for the Fall of 2015.
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a progressive leadership development program focused on identifying, engaging, and empowering the next generation of progressive leaders. YP4 is dedicated to identifying young campus and community leaders, engaging them, and supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create change. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation's fundamental rights and freedoms.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversity leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young leaders are sustained in their leadership over the long term. The core of YP4 is our one-year Fellowship Program for progressive college students, which supports and empowers them to create progressive social change on their campuses and in their communities. The Alumni Program works with the alumni of the one-year Fellowship to continue to support their development as progressive leaders and participants in the progressive movement.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Alumni Program Coordinator.
- Conduct outreach and support the development of local alumni networks;
- Support logistics and outreach for DC-based trainings like the alumni board meeting & training of trainers;
- Research current youth leadership programs, college activism, and leadership development curriculum;
- Conduct research on social issues as they affect young people and the alumni network on the local, state, regional, and national level;
- Update and maintain alumni databases for alumni tracking purposes;
- Support the Young People For team to plan and execute the annual National Summit;
- Assist Alumni Program staff members with day-to-day communication with and tracking of alumni;
- Contribute to the YP4 Blog, social media, and special projects, as interested
- Perform administrative support and duties as needed.
- Experience with grassroots, political, student or youth organizing and/or leadership development.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills, including ability to work effectively with a variety of people.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Familiarity with MSOffice applications; experience with online communities and interest in web-based tools to advance progressive causes.
- Familiarity with Salsa Lab or similar database software.
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues that Young People For Fellows and alumni work on: Campus Diversity, Voting Rights, Comprehensive Violence Reduction, Courts Matter, Criminal Justice Reform, Disability Rights, Economic Justice, Education, Environmental Conservation and Justice, Healthcare, Immigration, LGBTQ Rights, Money in Elections/Corporate Accountability, Native American Issues, Traditions, and Empowerment, Racial Justice, Reproductive Justice, Women's Rights, Workers' Rights
To apply: Send resume and statement of interest to Human Resources at email@example.com. Please put "YP4 Alumni Intern" in the subject line.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.