Mayor Richard Meehan
Town of Ocean City
301 Baltimore Ave
Ocean City MD 21842
Dear Mayor Meehan,
As you know, retired Lt. General William “Jerry” Boykin is scheduled to be the featured speaker at next week’s Ocean City Mayor’s Prayer Breakfast. Local news reports have focused on Boykin’s longstanding service to our country. However, there is another side to Boykin that you should be aware of before he appears at an event that reflects upon the entire community.
Boykin first made headlines in 2003 over a series of controversial remarks he made in uniform. He was investigated by the Defense Department and found to have violated multiple regulations.
Now retired, Boykin’s speeches frequently delve into hate-filled conspiracy theories – as you’ll see below. He claims that President Obama is creating a Hitler-style militia to force Marxism on the American people, and that international bankers are plotting to form a Marxist, global government.
Boykin, who has been billed by prayer breakfast director Bruce Spangler as an “expert on Islamic history,” has reserved his greatest scorn for Muslims and Islam. He has argued that Muslims are not protected by the First Amendment and that there should be no mosques in America. He has also revealed a profound ignorance of Islam by claiming that it is not an Abrahamic religion and has nothing in common with Christianity.
Ocean City works hard to maintain its reputation as a fun, family-friendly destination in Maryland and the Mid-Atlantic region. Hosting a divisive figure like Boykin, whose views are radical and bigoted, sends the wrong message about your community.
I suspect that you were unaware of Boykin’s full record. I sincerely hope you will take the opportunity to find a speaker who can speak to the entire community.
Michael B. Keegan
People For the American Way
PS: I’ve included below a small sampling of Boykin’s rhetoric and record:
- Boykin: President Obama has created a Hitler-style Brownshirt army to force Marxism on America -- link
- “We have incrementally moved towards Marxism and now I think it's at an accelerated pace. ...
One of the things that Hitler did was he established the Brownshirts. ... Well, in the lead-up to the election, during the campaigns, our current president said very openly, and you can find it on YouTube, if I am elected President, I will have a national civilian security force that is as large as and as powerful as the US military.
For what? Why do you need a national civilian security force?
Now most people say, well we haven't seen any signs of the administration doing that. Until you go back and read what nobody in Washington read, and that's the health care legislation that lays out a provision for the commissioning of officers to work directly for the President in time of a national emergency.
Now what would bring about a national emergency? An economic collapse, a terrorist attack, a natural disaster - we talked about all those things here - which would then allow for martial law. The foundation has been laid.”
- Boykin: Islam not protected under the First Amendment -- link
- “We need to recognize that Islam itself is not just a religion - it is a totalitarian way of life. It's a legal system, sharia law; it's a financial system; it's a moral code; it's a political system; it's a military system. It should not be protected under the First Amendment, particularly given that those following the dictates of the Quran are under an obligation to destroy our Constitution and replace it with sharia law.”
- Boykin: No mosques in America -- link
- “No mosques in America. Islam is a totalitarian way of life; it’s not just a religion. … But Islam, we need to think Sharia, it is not just a religion it is a totalitarian way of life. A mosque is an embassy for Islam and they recognize only a global caliphate, not the sanctity or sovereignty of the United States.”
- Boykin: There can be no interfaith dialogue between Muslims and Christians because Islam is not an Abrahamic faith and has nothing in common with Christianity -- link
- Boykin: Christians must go on the offensive against Islam -- link
- Boykin: George Soros and Council on Foreign Relations members are working to create a Marxist, global government -- link
- Washington Post: “General's Speeches Broke Rules” -- link
- “A Defense Department investigation has determined that Lt. Gen. William G. "Jerry" Boykin, the Pentagon's senior military intelligence official, violated three internal regulations while delivering controversial speeches that linked the war on terrorism to what he depicted as an enduring battle against Satan, according to a copy of the probe obtained yesterday by The Washington Post.
The 10-month internal investigation, conducted by the department's deputy inspector general for investigations, confirmed news accounts that Boykin said in his speeches that President Bush had been placed in his post by God, that radical Muslims hate America because it "will never abandon Israel" and that the U.S. military is recruiting a spiritual army that will draw strength from a greater power to defeat its enemy.”
- New York Times: “Bush Says He Disagrees With General's Remarks on Religion” -- link
- President Bush said on Wednesday that he disagreed with comments by a top Pentagon general who had cast the war on terrorism in religious terms, but the Defense Department said the officer would not be reassigned.
The comments by Mr. Bush were his first in public about Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin, the deputy under secretary of defense for intelligence and war-fighting. General Boykin has likened the battle against Islamic militants to a Christian struggle against Satan and said at evangelical gatherings that a militant Muslim militia leader in Somalia worshiped an "idol" and not "a real God."