People For the American Way Foundation is a national organization with one million members and supporters dedicated to defending constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and respect for diversity. The Accountant works in the national office in Washington, D.C. under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer and the Accounting Manager.
- Process and review accounts payables ensuring proper documentation, authorization and recording in the general ledger to the proper organization.
- Make daily deposit and record deposit on a monthly basis ensuring reconciliation with the development databases.
- Responsible for petty cash distribution and reconciliation.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations on various general ledger accounts.
- Working with other finance staff, participate in the monthly closing process and the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Assist with accounting for c3 and c4 contracts and partnerships.
- Prepare selected audit schedules as directed by Accounting Manager.
- Process semi-monthly payroll for submission to service bureau.
- Process health and welfare benefit enrollments and participation changes and provide regular reconciliations of accounts.
- Record all personnel and benefit costs into the general ledger through review and analysis of timesheets, payroll records and benefit invoices.
- Perform additional accounting and administrative work as need.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and 2-5 years accounting work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Nonprofit work experience helpful, particularly with managing multiple organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work well both independently and with supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage frequent deadlines and competing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented and able to produce organized and accurate materials quickly.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with Excel and computerized accounting systems; Microsoft Solomon 6.5 or Microsoft Dynamics SL experience helpful; and experience with financial reporting applications, such as Microsoft FrX, desirable.
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005; email firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way Foundation and People For the American Way are equal opportunity employers.