People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the far right. PFAW deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. PFAW’s nonpartisan affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, is engaged building a powerful progressive movement through programs including Young People For, the Young Elected Officials Network and African American Ministers Leadership Council. As the leader of PFAW/F’s communications team, the Communications Director, will lead messaging and branding for the organization and work with senior level staff to help develop strategies to maximize the impact of our work. The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the organizations’ President.
- Oversee all aspects of People For the American Way and PFAW Foundation’s messaging and media outreach, including internal and external audiences.
- Work directly with PFAW/F’s senior leadership team to develop the organization’s communications priorities and strategic plan.
- Support and mentor communications staff and oversee work of consultants.
- Oversee messaging and branding on a wide range of issues and programs in coordination with stakeholders throughout the organization; support PFAW/F leaders and spokespeople in raising and strengthening PFAW/F’s profile in appropriate venues; refine and maintain organizational voice and positioning in wide range of contexts.
- Proactively identify and capitalize on opportunities to pitch stories and PFAW/F spokespeople to earn productive media coverage in national, state, and local TV, radio, and print outlets.
- Create or oversee the creation of a wide range of communications products including videos, speeches, event scripts, op-eds, podcasts, promotional materials, and other collateral often on a short timeline.
- Consultant with PFAW/F’s President and senior staff on outreach to board members, donors, allies and other stakeholders; assist in drafting appropriate materials as necessary.
- Produce successful national and state-based events for press, donors and other audiences.
- Work closely with the Development and Online teams to coordinate communications across all channels to maximize our impact.
- Serve as one of PFAW/F’s on-the-record spokespeople as appropriate.
- Lead rapid response and crisis communications initiatives as appropriate.
- Create and track budget for all communications priorities and activities.
- Ten years of experience working with media and a demonstrated record of building productive relationships with reporters and producers.
- Demonstrated ability to assemble, manage and grow a top quality team of staff and consultants.
- Superb writing and editing skills.
- Concern for detail, organization, and accuracy; ability to work under pressure and manage numerous priorities and deadlines.
- Deep commitment to progressive values.
- Ability to maintain positive attitude while opposing individuals and movements working tirelessly to destroy everything you hold dear.
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005, Email: email@example.com. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.