People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Development Associate is a key member of the Major Gifts & Foundation team and will perform several tasks in order to ensure that People For raises the funds it needs to continue operations. The Development Associate works in a fast-paced environment; will be involved in a variety of efforts including database management, donor relations, events, coordinating travel/scheduling, and assisting with major donor mailings and other items as assigned. The ideal candidate is organized, flexible, and excellent with details. This position reports to the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts & Foundation Relations and is based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Maintain updated department calendar of mailings, proposal and report deadlines, special events, and staff travel;
- Conduct research, provide proofreading, and document production support for the preparation of foundation proposals and reports and a variety of other departmental mailings;
- Support the major donor team in the timely and professional outreach and solicitation of donors;
- Assist in maintenance of donor records and database;
- Assist in fundraising events across the country;
- Provide administrative support to the senior department staff, including scheduling, travel arrangements, and correspondence;
- Organize and maintain department supplies and files;
- Assist in organizing mailings and other department activities, as needed.
- Excellent communication skills, including strong proofreading and editing;
- Well-organized and able to manage details efficiently;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent deadlines;
- Ability to work both independently and with supervision;
- Discretion and mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information;
- Computer proficiency, including MSOffice, Outlook, and Internet tools; must have database and spreadsheet experience;
- Previous administrative experience, interest in development activities, and commitment to progressive causes desirable.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
To apply send a resume and statement of interest to: email@example.com. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.