People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting for racial justice to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Development Coordinator is an integral part of People For the American Way’s multichannel fundraising team. The Development Coordinator will primarily focus on our planned giving program, including marketing efforts, personal cultivation of prospects, and administration of estate gifts. The Development Coordinator reports to the Vice President for Constituent Engagement and works closely with the major gifts, midlevel, and membership teams. This position is located in Washington, D.C., and requires 25% travel throughout the United States.
- Manage planned giving marketing and lead generation efforts, including newsletters, surveys, letters, and website
- Respond promptly to all planned giving inquiries and leads and ensure all donors with new gift intentions are thanked and recognized properly
- Generate new leads for the planned giving pipeline and develop strategy for cultivating and soliciting donors at different stages in the pipeline to close gifts
- Manage a fluid portfolio of 300-500 prospects to build relationships via phone calls, personal emails and letters, and small events
- Maintain and promote the Liberty Circle, our legacy giving recognition society, and create stewardship plans to maintain ongoing relationships with donors in the Liberty Circle
- Travel and visit 100-120 donors each year to qualify and cultivate prospects and steward existing Liberty Circle members
- Closely track all open estates and work with People For legal and finance staff to ensure prompt and accurate processing of all paperwork to facilitate timely gift disbursements
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all donor communications and prepare regular reports on marketing activities
- Help set, track, and report on program budget goals and KPIs
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years fundraising experience; experience with planned giving fundraising preferred, but we are willing to train candidates without
- Strong computer skills, including Word and Excel (including mail merge) and fundraising databases
- Outgoing personality with ability to enjoy direct communication with donors and to collaborate with other staff and external vendors
- Demonstrated verbal and written communications skills including experience in reviewing direct mail, letters, emails, and other similar correspondence; experience with proofreading
- Ability to handle simultaneous projects and manage competing deadlines
- Discretion and mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential donor information
- Commitment to People For’s core mission
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.