People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Legacy Giving Coordinator is an integral part of People For the American Way’s fundraising team who will be responsible for sustaining and growing a newly revitalized planned giving program. The Coordinator helps implement our legacy marketing efforts, leads the personal cultivation and solicitation of planned giving prospects via personalized relationship building, manages the legacy giving society, and carefully oversees the administration of all open estate gifts. The Legacy Giving Coordinator reports to the Vice President for Constituent Engagement and works closely with both major gifts and membership/annual giving staff. This position is located in Washington, D.C., and requires at least 25% travel throughout the United States.
- Manage marketing strategy to build awareness of legacy giving opportunities among our current donors and members, including planned giving newsletters, surveys, and letters
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 500 legacy donors and prospects and build relationships via phone calls, personalized email communications, ongoing written contact, and small events
- Generate new leads for the planned giving pipeline and develop strategy for cultivating and soliciting donors at different stages in the pipeline to close gifts
- Respond promptly to all planned giving inquiries and leads and ensure all donors with new gift intentions are thanked and recognized properly
- Maintain and promote the Liberty Circle, our legacy giving recognition society, and create stewardship plans to maintain ongoing relationships with donors in the Liberty Circle
- Visit at least 100-120 donors each year to qualify, cultivate, and solicit planned giving prospects and steward existing Liberty Circle members
- Closely track all open estates and work with estate representatives and People For legal and finance staff to ensure prompt and accurate processing of associated paperwork to facilitate timely distributions
- Communicate regularly with program staff to maintain awareness of People For programs and activities in order to effectively communicate about our work with donors
- Maintain accurate and complete records of all donor communications and prepare regular reports on campaign activities
- Help set, track, and report on program budget goals and KPIs
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years fundraising experience (or equivalent combination of education/experience); experience with planned giving or other relationship fundraising strongly preferred
- Strong computer skills, including Word and Excel (including mail merge) and fundraising databases
- Outgoing personality with ability to enjoy direct communication with donors and prospects and the ability to collaborate with other staff and external vendors
- Demonstrated verbal and written communications skills including experience in reviewing direct mail appeals, acknowledgment letters, emails, and other similar correspondence; experience with proofreading
- Ability to handle simultaneous projects and manage competing deadlines
- Discretion and mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information
- Commitment to People For’s core mission
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.