People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Major Gifts Associate will play a key role on our major gifts team in support of our fundraising and donor outreach efforts. The Associate will help coordinate the day-to-day implementation of our major donor communications plan, help maintain relationships with donors/foundations, conduct research to assess their capacity and interests, maintain donor records, assist in development writing and donor acknowledgements, and supporting the major gifts team in the qualification and solicitation of donors.
This position is located in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Major Gifts Director.
- Support the major gifts team in the timely and professional outreach and solicitation of donors
- Update and maintain individual donor files and the donor database, keeping timely records of all donor outreach, making address changes, identifying and correcting data entry errors, and entering special coding information
- Conduct donor research and analyze wealth screenings to assess capacity and interest and identify donors for management by Major Gift Officers
- Prepare donor background briefings for meetings and events
- Assist with donor correspondence, including drafting and proofreading letters and emails, and organizing the production of in-house mailings
- Print and mail weekly major gift acknowledgments and make daily personal thank-you calls
- Help cultivate donor relationships by scheduling meetings and phone calls with PFAW/F leadership and program staff
- Support the Major Gifts Director and Major Gifts Officers in other major donor outreach as needed and on other projects as assigned.
- 1-2 years of administrative experience; donor relations and fundraising background preferred
- Excellent problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Must be curious, take initiative, and have strong organization and time-management skills
- Must be able to work well in a team-environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including strong proofreading ability and emphasis on accuracy
- Experience with handling phone calls and personal correspondence
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent competing deadlines
- Interest in progressive values and People For’s issue agenda
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
To apply: Please email an updated resume and a cover letter to [email protected].
Position Level: Exempt
Position Compensation: $45,000–$54,668
People For the American Way and People For the American Way Foundation are equal opportunity employers.