People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Major Gifts Associate will be responsible for managing a portfolio of current major donors and prospects and moving them in and out of the major donor pipeline. The position is also responsible for maintaining relationships with donors/foundations, conducting research to assess their capacity and interests, creating fundraising documents, maintaining donor files, assisting in development writing and donor acknowledgements, and supporting the Major Gifts team in the qualification of portfolios. This position is located in Washington DC and reports to the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts and Foundations.
- Manage a portfolio of entry-level major donors and prospects. Responsible for cultivating these donors by facilitating meetings and phone calls with PFAW/F leadership. Keep abreast of donor’s key interests. Maintain efficient internal records of all donor communication and outreach.
- Conduct pro-active individual donor/foundation research to support growing Development Department.
- Assess donor capacity, interests and philanthropic relationship to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assess new opportunities with existing donors through the following avenues:
- Prospects suggested by board, staff and other donors
- Examine and analyze results of wealth screenings to identify those with potential to make major gifts
- Identify new potential foundation prospects from external sources
- Update and maintain donor information in the development database and incorporate data from other sources in a timely manner. This includes making address changes, linking donor records, combining duplicate records, identifying and correcting data entry errors, and entering special coding information.
- Assist in the creation of fundraising materials for donor meetings and events.
- Support the Senior Director of Leadership Gifts and Foundations in major donor outreach as needed and on other projects as assigned.
- 2 – 4 years of development experience including direct donor relations and fundraising.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail-oriented, well-organized and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including strong proofreading ability
- Demonstrated ability to review large volume of information to find details relevant regarding potential prospects
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment with multiple priorities and frequent competing deadlines
- Interest in progressive values and People For’s issue agenda
- Bachelor’s Degree required
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.