People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the far right. We are deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. As a key member of PFAW’s communications team, the Media Relations Director will lead media outreach for the organization and work with senior level staff to help develop strategies to maximize the impact of our paid and earned media work. The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the Vice-President of Communications and Research.
- Serve as one of PFAW’s on-the-record spokespeople and oversee all media outreach, including overseeing work of staff and consultants.
- Work directly with PFAW’s senior leadership team to develop the organization’s media strategy.
- Build productive relationships with national reporters and producers who cover issues related to PFAW’s mission.
- Proactively identify and capitalize on opportunities to pitch stories and PFAW spokespeople to earn productive media coverage in national, state, and local TV, radio, and print outlets.
- Organize and execute successful national and state-based press events.
- Draft press releases, statements and talking points.
- Prepare organizational spokespeople for interviews.
- Train and assist PFAW staff in developing individual relationships with reporters and producers.
- Coordinate with other members of PFAW/F’s Communications and Research team on organizational activities and priorities.
- Five to seven years of experience working with media and a demonstrated record of building productive relationships with reporters and producers.
- Pre-existing relationships with national reporters and/or on-the-record experience.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and consultants.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Concern for detail, organization, and accuracy; ability to work under pressure and manage various priorities and deadlines.
- Fluency in Spanish helpful.
- Deep commitment to progressive values.
- Ability to maintain positive attitude while opposing individuals and movements working tirelessly to destroy everything you hold dear.
- College degree required.
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.