People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Membership Representative is an integral part of the membership fundraising team who provides support services to members, helps implement our multi-channel fundraising efforts (mail, telemarketing, and online), and assists with donor data management. This position reports to the Director of Membership and Online Strategy and works closely with the Director of Development Operations as well as other members of the Development Department. This position is located in Washington, DC. This is a great opportunity to learn about multi-channel fundraising as a key player in a vibrant and growing membership marketing program.
- Act as primary point of contact for all inbound communications from our members via mail, phone, and email
- Update and maintain donor information in the membership and online CRM databases, including daily receipt data entry and processing contributions
- Assist with the direct mail creative and production process, including proofreading and managing deadlines
- Coordinate donation acknowledgement process, working with outside mail shop to produce bulk acknowledgements and producing customized acknowledgement letters in house for memorial and tribute gifts
- Oversee the sustaining member program, using best practices to retain and upgrade sustaining donors and grow the program
- Maintain inventory of all membership collateral materials
- Assist with charitable state registrations, including timely response to requests for information or processing
- Assure samples of all direct mail packages are received and organized
- Assist with other department projects and organizational activities, as needed
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing
- Strong customer service skills, including a courteous and personable telephone demeanor
- Microsoft Word skills required, including experience with mail merge. Familiarity with Excel preferred
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced environment, be well organized, and manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines
- Discretion and mature judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work both independently and under supervision
- 1 – 2 years relevant work experience preferred
- Interest in fundraising activities and commitment to progressive causes desirable
To apply, send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005; email: email@example.com. No telephone calls please.