People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Research Associate tracks right-wing activity, regularly posts content on PFAW’s Right Wing Watch blog, and works with other staff to address research needs of ongoing organizational campaigns. The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to the research director.
- Monitor and analyze right-wing activities with a focus on racial justice issues, including immigrants’ rights and criminal justice.
- Research and write multiple daily posts for PFAW’s Right Wing Watch blog.
- Conduct longer-term investigations, including analyzing campaign finance and lobbying data and filing Freedom of Information requests.
- Work with the research team to shape research priorities and Right Wing Watch coverage.
- Superb writing skills, including the ability to quickly produce clear, compelling news stories.
- Three to five years of research and/or writing experience, and demonstrated interest and expertise in issues related to racial justice.
- Sharp news sense and keen political instincts.
- Concern for detail and accuracy; ability to work under pressure and manage various priorities and deadlines.
- Deep commitment to progressive values.
- Ability to maintain perspective, open-mindedness and a sense of humor while opposing individuals and movements working tirelessly to destroy everything you hold dear.
To apply send resume, statement of interest, and two writing samples to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Washington, D.C., 20005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.