People For the American Way is a national organization with over 1 million members dedicated to defending constitutional rights under attack by the Trump administration and the Right Wing and is deeply engaged in campaigns ranging from defending the Supreme Court to fighting Islamophobia to engaging Latino voters in elections. Our affiliate People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values and works to diversify the leadership of the progressive movement through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network.
The Research Director and Editor of Right Wing Watch leads our team of researchers who track right-wing movements in U.S. and serves as the editor of the widely read Right Wing Watch website.
This position works in the national office in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Vice President for Research and Communications.
- Serves as the editor of PFAW’s Right Wing Watch website, including guiding the site’s coverage of right-wing movements and ensuring the quality of every piece published on the site.
- Supervises a team of researchers and oversees the day to day operations of Right Wing Watch.
- Monitors right-wing movements, attends and reports on right-wing events, and writes content for Right Wing Watch as needed.
- Identifies opportunities for in-depth investigations; works with the legal team to coordinate FOIA and other public records requests.
- Works in conjunction with the communications and research teams to plan and facilitate Right Wing Watch: In Focus
- Promotes PFAW research to media and allies; works with Communications staff to raise the profile of the organization’s work fighting the Right.
- Identifies opportunities for PFAW to expose and counter right-wing activists and campaigns.
- Works collaboratively with Public Policy, Political and Online Strategy departments to conceptualize and plan campaigns based on the work done by the research team.
- Builds relationships with and oversees the work of freelance writers and researchers.
- Serves as a PFAW spokesperson to the media.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and demonstrated ability to produce and edit clean, compelling copy in a fast-paced environment.
- 7-8 years of experience in political research or writing, with experience as a manager.
- Strong familiarity with the political environment and sharp news instincts.
- Impeccable attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Familiarity with right-wing movements and the role they play in our politics.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and exploit opportunities to use research to shape media narratives.
- Ability to apply professional level knowledge to solve a range of complex problems
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, and tenacity for handling multiple issues and deadlines.
- Commitment to People For the American Way’s core mission and to working in a collaborative, team driven environment.
To apply send resume and statement of interest to email@example.com. No telephone calls please.
People For the American Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer