People For the American Way and its affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, are progressive advocacy organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity.
This position requires a high level of competence and commitment, as well as a wide range of administrative, communications, and management skills. The Special Assistant works in a fast-paced environment and must be flexible and available to work additional hours, when needed. This position is located in Washington DC and reports to the President.
Manage the efficient and effective administrative operation of all aspects of the President’s office,
- Maintain the President’s calendar and heavy travel schedule, coordinating arrangements, as needed,
- Coordinate the preparation for meetings and events,
Process all correspondence to and from the President’s office, including the drafting of selected correspondence, memoranda and reports,
- Answer phone calls to President’s office and ensure prompt response to inquiries.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors and their staffs, manage preparation and set-up/logistics of Board meetings, coordinate mailings to the Board, record and transcribe minutes of Board meetings.
- Facilitate communication between the President’s office and People For programs and departments.
- Coordinate special projects, as directed by the President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Coordinate the preparation and organization of research and briefing materials required by the President.
- Maintain lists, files and calendars for Board activities.
- 5+ years’ experience supporting President level staff or organizational leader.
- Previous administrative support experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize schedules and information efficiently with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work easily and effectively with a variety of people.
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with direction.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, competing requests, and frequent deadlines.
- Willingness to work additional hours, often without advance notice.
- Discretion, mature judgment and good problem solving skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Interest in progressive issues and commitment to public interest work.
- Experience on Capitol Hill or in political/advocacy organization preferred
- Sense of humor and flexible attitude.
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected] No phone calls please.
People for the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.