People For the American Way is a national organization dedicated to defending constitutional rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion and equal opportunity for all.
This position requires a high level of competence and commitment, as well as a wide range of administrative, communications, and management skills. The Special Assistant works in a fast-paced environment and must be flexible and available to work additional hours, when needed. This position is located in Washington DC and reports to the President.
- Manage the efficient and effective administrative operation of all aspects of the President’s office, including:
- Maintain the President’s calendar and heavy travel schedule, coordinating arrangements, as needed,
- Coordinate the preparation for meetings and events,
- Process all correspondence to and from the President’s office, including the drafting of selected correspondence, memoranda and reports,
- Answer phone calls to President’s office and ensure prompt response to inquiries.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors and their staffs, manage preparation and set-up/logistics of Board meetings, coordinate mailings to the Board, record and transcribe minutes of Board meetings.
- Facilitate communication between the President’s office and People For programs and departments.
- Coordinate special projects, as directed by the President and Chief Operating Officer.
- Coordinate the preparation and organization of research and briefing materials required by the President.
- Maintain lists, files and calendars for Board activities.
- 5+ years’ experience supporting President level staff or organizational leader.
- Previous administrative support experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize schedules and information efficiently with exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work easily and effectively with a variety of people.
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and with direction.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, competing requests, and frequent deadlines.
- Willingness to work additional hours, often without advance notice.
- Discretion, mature judgment and good problem solving skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Interest in progressive issues and commitment to public interest work.
- Experience on Capitol Hill or in political/advocacy organization preferred
- Sense of humor and flexible attitude.
To apply send resume and statement of interest to: Human Resources, People For the American Way, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. No telephone calls please.