People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young Elected Officials Network and its Young People For youth leadership programs; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
The Young Elected Officials Network (YEO) has been established to provide a network of support to young progressive elected officials in all levels of government. The program is based in Tallahassee, Florida and Washington, D.C. and works with a network of elected officials throughout the country. This position is located in the Washington, D.C. office, reports to the YEO Network Director and works in collaboration with staff in both locations.
The YEO Network Communications and Programs Associate will help manage and coordinate various aspects of the YEO Network program as it continues to grow. This position requires an orientation to various aspects of marketing, communications, and graphic design; excellent communications and writing abilities; detailed program management and conference coordination skills; and familiarity with and a commitment to progressive issues and ideals.
- In coordination with the YEO Network senior staff, execute and support YEO programs with a focus on internal and external communications strategy, especially pertaining to members, donors, and the general public.
- In coordination with the YEO Network senior staff and DC Communications Department, support the Network’s communications and branding, draft press releases and coordinate media efforts, and work to maximize YEO Network program and member exposure.
- Manage website updates, HMTL, and graphic design components.
- Design and draft newsletter content, marketing material, and reports.
- Serve as liaison with graphic designers, the communications department, and website management vendors.
- Manage regular outreach to the YEO Network membership using SALSA and other database management systems.
- Coordinate logistics for conferences, meetings, and summits of the YEO Network program, including scheduling and agenda development.
- In coordination with the YEO Network senior staff, execute and support all branding and communications associated with trainings and conferences.
- Execute and support deliverables for temporary or short-term projects, including grant reports.
- In coordination with policy and membership teams, develop all related reports for special projects.
- Assist YEO Network Director and staff with administrative work, scheduling, internal reporting and communications.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to work with staff in multiple locations
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and ability to work with a variety of people
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with special attention to detail; familiarity with and interest in writing about progressive policy preferred
- Design software experience, including the Adobe Creative Suite – InDesign, Photoshop, and Dreamweaver– as well other HTML development systems, experience with web content management systems like Word Press, and design skills required
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well-organized and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines
- Familiarity with database management systems (i.e. Salsa, Constant Contacts, MailChimp)
- One to four years of related experience is preferred
- College degree required
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team
- Entrepreneurial and innovative skills and strong problem-solving ability
- Computer proficiency, including MSOffice, Outlook, and Internet tools; must have database and spreadsheet experience
- Ability and willingness to travel when needed
- Ability and willingness to work campaign hours when needed, including some nights and weekends
- Commitment to the values of the Young Elected Officials Network and People For the American Way Foundation
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to People For the American Way Foundation, 1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer