Located in Washington, DC
People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young Elected Officials Network and its Young People For youth leadership programs; and carries out nonpartisan civic participation activities.
The Young Elected Officials Network (YEO) has been established to engage young progressive elected officials in all levels of government. The YEO program is based Washington, D.C. and works with a network of elected officials throughout the country. This position is located in the Washington, DC office, and reports to the YEO Membership Coordinator.
Internships with the Young Elected Officials Network provide students with an opportunity to gain comprehensive insight into the political process by working to build coalitions, and support the professional development of elected officials from all levels of office across the country. Internships are unpaid, but we are happy to work with students to arrange academic credit. This internship is part-time; timeline and schedule are flexible.
The Young Elected Officials Network offers internships to help with the following duties:
- Help maintain and update Network’s membership database
- Daily tracking of YEO In-the-News reports and assist in the maintenance of the policy exchange
- Build relationships with elected officials from a variety of offices in communities, states, and regions across the country.
- Create communications strategies to share networking opportunities with network members.
- Assist in organizing skills, policy, and issues education opportunities for elected officials in the form of newsletter articles, telebriefs, and conferences.
- Assist with the research and recruitment of new young elected officials into the Network.
- Assist with welcoming new members to the YEO Network
- Assist with the Young Elected Officials Network and Young People For’s advanced candidate and campaign leadership program, the Front Line Leaders Academy
- Help maintain the daily operations of the Young Elected Officials Network
- Opportunities to travel and participate in YEO conferences
- When assigned, attend capitol hearings that align with organization interest
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, send letter of interest and resume to Raquel Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.