People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
Young People For (YP4) is a national long-term leadership development program for college-aged folks, which aim to identify, engage, and empower young people who are historically left out of the leadership development pipeline to take action in their community, right now. We’re dedicated to encouraging young people to be campus and community leaders today, while supporting them with the skills and resources they need to create the change they want to see, now. Our Fellows and Alumni create Blueprints for some of the most game-changing social justice work in the nation.
YP4 has three overarching priorities: 1) to diversify leadership in the progressive movement; 2) to support young leaders to effect change in their communities now; and 3) to ensure that young change-makers are sustained in their leadership over the long term. Over the past decade, YP4 has invested in more than 1,650 young, progressive leaders pursuing and promoting social justice in communities and on campuses across the country.
Young People For is a program of People For the American Way Foundation which conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to YP4’s Policy and Civic Engagement Manager.
- Create and curate engaging and brand consistent text, graphic, and video content for YP4’s social media outlets.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of YP4’s integrated communications products –– including website, print publications, social media, and traditional media.
- Create, develop and facilitate, social media trainings for Fellows and Alumni
- In collaboration with the Policy and Civic Engagement Manager, set annual, quarterly, and monthly department goals and develop work plans to ensure that goals and deliverables are met.
- Highlight YP4 programming across social media platforms.
- Manage YP4’s monthly newsletters and email blasts
- Oversee the YP4 Blog, including the development of a comprehensive editorial calendar and copyediting.
- Deliver monthly reports with statistics and results for each social media account
- Write and publish website, blog and email newsletter content.
- Plan and implement outreach to the YP4 network and broader progressive movement to promote YP4 members, their work, and the thought-leadership of members of the YP4 team.
- Work collaboratively with the Fellowship Department to provide alumni engagement with the Fellowship, particularly by sharing YP4 toolkits, continued education opportunities, as well as career resources with alumni of the program.
- Oversee all of YP4‘s contact management system by updating and managing data input, including the collection of alumni data and tracking of alumni successes.
- Where appropriate, represent the Young People For team at local, state, regional, and national conferences and events
- 3-5 years related experience including communications or social media work, and/or grassroots, political, student or youth organizing work.
- Candidates must have excellent communications skills –– including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences through various mediums, including drafting high-quality content for email, web publication, and public speaking engagements.
- Experienced in generating interactive, creative content for social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.
- Video editing and graphic design skills preferred.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment and multitask; must be well organized, detail-oriented and able to effectively manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Previous experience developing and implementing comprehensive digital strategies to mobilize a large membership, develop an organizational brand, and amplify successful work.
- Familiarity with industry best practices for online data analytics, particularly the ability to synthesize metrics reports and convey that information in a useable format.
- Previous experience or interest in media relations, developing media trainings, or liaising with members of the press desired.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, fluency in English and Spanish desired.
- Strong commitment to professional development.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, ability to manage multiple projects and/or events, and meet frequent deadlines.
- Familiarity with the progressive community, and a commitment to the issues of Young People For
Send resume and statement of interest to Human Resources, People For the American Way Foundation, 1101 15th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer