Fact Sheets: The Truth About Vouchers
- "In Education, Money Talks: David Brennan's White Hat Management changes the way business, politics, and school vouchers mix," Akron Beacon Journal, December 13, 1999. Part of the Akron Beacon Journal investigative series "Whose Choice?" culminating 5 years of investigative reporting by Dennis J. Willard and Doug Oplinger.
- Doris Simmons-Harris v. Dr. Susan Tave Zelman. United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, Case #99-4037.
- "Cleveland Scholarship and Tutoring Program: Special Audit Report, July 1, 1995 through June 30, 1998," Jim Petro, Auditor of State, State of Ohio, Supplement to the Special Audit Report, pp. 4, 13, and Auditor of State Press Release "Petro Issues Special Audit of Cleveland Voucher Program." Note: the Cleveland Scholarship and Tutoring Program has indicated that they "intend to discontinue the practice of awarding scholarships to applicants who do not fall within the income guidelines as established by the state superintendent of public instruction," starting with the 1999 school year, according to the audit (Supplement, p. 13). However, this does not alter the ambiguity of the voucher law.
- "In Education, Money Talks: David Brennan's White Hat Management changes the way business, politics, and school vouchers mix," Akron Beacon Journal, December 13, 1999.
- "More Schools Cash in on Vouchers: State Legislation Would Expand Disputed Program," Akron Beacon Journal, April 4, 2001; "Charter Schools Seek Boost," Akron Beacon Journal, April 5, 2001.
- "Portable Vouchers," St. Petersburg Times, February 11, 2001; House Bill hb0303e1 CS/CS/HB 303, First Engrossed/ntc found at: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/cgibin/view_page.pl?Tab=session&Submenu=1&FT=D&File=hb0303e1
- John M. McKay Scholarships for Students with Disabilities Program, Fla. Stat. S. 229.05371.
- "Florida Cabinet Revises School Accountability System," Education Week, January 12, 2000; "Educators Object to Special Bonuses," St. Petersburg Times, December 2, 1999.
- 2001-03 Wisconsin State Budget Summary of Governor's Budget Recommendations, Legislative Fiscal Bureau, March, 2001, p. 545.
- "The Corruption of School Choice," Boston Globe, October 28, 1998.
- John F. Witte's testimony to the Milwaukee Legislative Hearing on the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program, Sept. 15, 1998, p. 3. Economic data from 1990.
- "Private Schools Spurn Tuition Voucher Plan: Reduced Tuition and More Governmental Control Lessen the Program's Appeal to Private Educators," Miami Herald, April 18, 2000.
- California Budget Project. "Budget Brief: Are Vouchers the Way to Improve California's Schools?" August 2000, pp. 2-3.
- Language of Ballot Proposal 1, cited from "Statewide Ballot Issues: Proposal 00-1, School Choice." Citizens Research Council of Michigan, September 2000, Report No. 331, p. 5; "Voucher Plan Would Give Great Power to the Few," Detroit Free Press, July 22, 2000.
- State Senate Fiscal Agency Analysis: November 2000 Ballot Proposal 1: An Overview, August 2000.
- "District Would Pay Students Not to Attend," Philadelphia Inquirer, March 18, 1998.
- "Delco Board Approves 1st School-Voucher Plan in PA," Philadelphia Inquirer, March 19, 1998.