Whistleblower findings document how ALEC is used by corporations to hurt families, communities
On Wednesday, August 3, a teacher, a small business owner, a reverend and a disenfranchised voter will speak out at a press conference to unveil the real human toll of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)’s "model bills." ALEC is a vehicle by which corporations and politicians collaborate on blueprints for pro-corporate legislation to bring back to the states.
WHAT: A Press Conference to Give Voice to the Victims of the ALEC Agenda
WHEN: Wednesday, August 3, 10:00 AM CDT
- Lisa Graves, Executive Director, Center for Media and Democracy (Moderator)
- Jim Randels, a New Orleans area English teacher, will discuss attacks on public education
- Nicole Schulte will discuss her experience with new Voter-ID laws in Wisconsin
- Todd Landfried, Arizona Employers for Immigration Reform, will discuss the damage caused by draconian anti-immigrant measures
- Rev. Dr. Willie Gable Sr. will discuss the injustice of Louisiana’s new bill against health-care reform
WHERE: Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Bayside B, 4th Floor
500 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
LIVE STREAM: The press conference will be live-streamed for remote viewers.
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is a vehicle through which global corporations and state politicians collaborate and vote behind closed doors to design legislation that benefits the huge corporations funding ALEC. These so-called "model bills" reach into almost every area of American life, and carry serious consequences for the American people by imposing voting restrictions, undermining environmental protections, scapegoating immigrants to profit from the private prison industry and defunding public education. Learn more here.
In addition, Common Cause will release a report, “Legislating Under the Influence: Money, power and the American Legislative Exchange Council,” which examines how nearly $400 million in campaign contributions to state legislative candidates has helped ALEC secure champions for pro-business bills in Capitols from coast to coast.
# # #