WASHINGTON – Today Bryan Fischer, a far-right radio host for the American Family Association, announced that he will be participating in a campaign rally with Sen. Ted Cruz on Monday. Fischer is among the most radical activists of the Religious Right movement, who has said that Muslims represent a “toxic cancer” to American society, that gay people shouldn’t be allowed to serve in public office, that gay activists are “Nazis,” that women shouldn’t hold positions of authority, and that the First Amendment only applies to Christians.
People For the American Way Director of Communications Drew Courtney released the following statement:
“First Ted Cruz touted the endorsement of an activist who thinks abortion doctors should be executed. Now he’s appearing at a rally with a radio host who called gay people Nazis. It’s increasingly clear that no right-wing leader is too extreme for Ted Cruz.
“This is the GOP leadership of today. Republicans are apparently unconcerned about dehumanizing and alienating religious minorities, LGBT people, and women. That Cruz will be sharing a stage with Bryan Fischer on the campaign trail shows just how far he is willing to go in embracing radical extremism.”
People For the American Way’s Right Wing Watch has long documented Fischer’s anti-LGBT and anti-Muslim bigotry, including the headlines below:
- Fischer: Muslims Are Stupid and Violent Because of Inbreeding
- Fischer: Every Mosque Is An IED and Every Muslim Is Guilty of Treason.
- Fischer: Native Americans Are Mired In Poverty and Alcoholism Because They Refuse to Accept Christianity.
- Fischer: All Immigrants Must "Convert To Christianity."
- Fischer: Muslims Represent A "Toxic Cancer" To American Society.
- Fischer: Gays Are Nazis.
- Fischer: Make Homosexuality "A Criminal Offense."
- Fischer: First Amendment Does Not Apply To Mormons.
- Fischer: Gays are Driven by a 'Dark, Venomous, Demonic Hatred'.'
- Fischer: 'Muslims are Worshiping a Demon.'
- Fischer: God Will Use ISIS To Punish America For Gay Rights.
- Fischer: 'Political Leadership Ought to be Reserved for the Hands of Males'
- Fischer: 'Being An Active Homosexual Should Disqualify You From Public Office'.
People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and defend constitutional values including free expression, religious liberty, equal justice under the law, and the right to meaningfully participate in our democracy.