Washington, D.C.—People For the American Way’s Next Up Victory Fund today thanked all of our Next Up endorsed candidates for running and congratulated those candidates who won their Virginia Democratic primary elections. As challenges to voting and reproductive rights, among others, take place in states across the country, the importance of winning state legislative seats and chamber control has never been clearer. Democrats are one seat away from a tie and two seats away from flipping party control in both chambers of the Virginia General Assembly, and last night’s results bolstered a roster of diverse, progressive, young candidates poised to lead a political takeover of the state. Next Up’s endorsees for the general election include three Virginia Senate candidates, 21 House of Delegates candidates, and four local candidates.
“Last night’s many wins by Next Up candidates put us in a great position to flip both chambers of the Virginia General Assembly,” PFAW Political Director Lizet Ocampo said. “As we move into the general election, we are ready to support them as they fight in the general election to protect people’s rights and well-being and promote policies to improve the lives of every Virginian.”
People For the American Way’s Next Up Victory Fund helps young progressive candidates win races for state and local offices across the country. Next Up works to build a deep bench of progressive candidates well positioned to control state legislatures, win statewide, and run for federal offices in the future.
“With the primary behind us, it’s time to take the fight to the right-wing,” Ocampo added. “Next Up endorsees like Del. Danica Roem and candidate Josh Cole are facing some of the most toxic candidates the Republicans have to offer. The good news is that these and other Next Up endorsees represent the best chance we have at mobilizing a winning coalition heading into the 2019 general election.”
Ocampo also pointed to the impressive Democratic turnout in the primary as a sign of progressive strength heading into the 2019 and 2020 elections: 78,000 more Democrats than Republicans turned out to vote yesterday.
PFAW’s Next Up Victory Fund Virginia General Election Endorsees
(In district number order; incumbents in italics)
Virginia Senate Candidates
- Amanda Pohl, Senate District 11
- Flo Ketner, Senate District 19
- Qasim Rashid, Senate District 28
Virginia House of Delegates Candidates
- Jennifer Carroll Foy, House District 2
- Chris Hurst, House District 12
- Danica Roem, House District 13
- Eric Stamps, House District 14
- Jennifer Lewis, House District 20
- Kelly Fowler, House District 21
- Jennifer Kitchen, House District 25
- Joshua Cole, House District 28
- Dan Helmer, House District 40
- Kathy Tran, House District 42
- Lee Carter, House District 50
- Morgan Goodman, House District 55
- Sally Hudson, House District 57
- Lashrecse Aird, House District 63
- Karrie Delaney, House District 67
- Schuyler VanValkenburg, House District 72
- Alex Askew, House District 85
- Ibraheem Samirah, House District 86
- Jay Jones, House District 89
- Michael Mullin, House District 93
- Phil Hernandez, House District 100
Virginia local candidates:
- Steve Descano, Fairfax Commonwealth’s Attorney
- Justin Hannah, Loudoun County Sheriff
- Josh King, Prince William County Sheriff
- Michael Payne, Charlottesville City Council
In 2017, candidates endorsed by PFAW’s Next Up Victory Fund flipped eight seats in the Virginia statehouse. PFAW’s Next Up Victory Fund will announce a post-primary round of additional Virginia endorsements in the days to come.
Virginia’s general election will take place on November 5, 2019.
People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and defend constitutional values including free expression, religious liberty, equal justice under the law, and the right to meaningfully participate in our democracy.