Summer applications are closed. Please make an alternate summer selection here  or reapply in the fall. Thank you.
It was important for me to apply the theory I was learning in class and my passion for social justice to current political issues. At People For the American Way, I was able to do just that!
— Angela Simms, University of Texas LBJ School of Public Policy
People For the American Way is a nationwide advocacy organization that mobilizes its members and activists to fight for public policies that reflect the values of freedom, fairness, and equal opportunity; to champion constitutional protections and civil rights; to hold public officials accountable to those standards; and to promote strong democratic institutions, including a federal judiciary that upholds individual rights. The Public Policy department lobbies Congress and the Executive Branch on behalf of the organization to affect public policy at the national level.
The Public Policy department works on a variety of issues, including Citizens United and the corporate Court, executive/judicial nominations, and LGBT equality. The department has both full-time and part-time internships to help with the following activities:
- Perform legislative and policy research
- Perform legislative tracking
- Perform media research related to policy issues
- Draft letters to Congress and fact sheets
- Assist with various lobbying efforts
- Attend hearings, briefings, press conferences, coalition meetings, and other internal and external events
- Provide administrative support
- Other duties as assigned
Internships are unpaid, but we will work with students to arrange academic credit and meet other requirements.
To apply, send:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample (Full document or excerpt of 5 pages or less)
- References (2-3 contacts with email addresses, if available)
Director of Human Resources
People For the American Way
1101 15th St NW Ste 600
Washington, DC 20005
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.