People For the American Way today released"The Rogues' Gallery ," profiling 15 far-right Republican nominees for Congress. From pledges to radically restrict reproductive choice to demands that the EPA and the Department of Education be abolished, the report makes clear that the Republican slate of nominees is everything the Tea Party or the Religious Right could want. Included in the report are:
- Joe Miller of Alaska who says that the Department of Education should be eliminated because it's not in the Constitution.
- Carly Fiorina of California who pledges that she would"absolutely" vote to overturn Roe v. Wade if given the opportunity.
- Ken Buck of Colorado who says he"doesn't know" whether Social Security is constitutional, but calls it a"horrible policy."
- Sharron Angle of Nevada who says government assistance to the poor is a form of idolatry that violates the first of the Ten Commandments.
- Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire who says same-sex couples should not have the right to adopt children.
- Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania who thinks abortion should be illegal and doctors who perform abortions should be jailed.
"After years of tracking the Right, it's clear that this batch of Republicans is the most extreme slate yet," said Michael B. Keegan of People For the American Way. "These candidates aren't interested in addressing the serious problems we face; they're interested in exploiting serious problems to impose their rigid, ideological agenda on all of us. Voters should go to the polls with their eyes open, and that means understanding the kind of extremism these candidates represent."
In addition to the candidates above, the report profiles Christine O'Donnell (DE), Marco Rubio (FL), Rand Paul (KY), Roy Blunt (MO), Richard Burr (NC), Rob Portman (OH), Mike Lee (UT), Ron Johnson (WI) and Dino Rossi (WA).
You can read the report and view a slideshow of right-wing candidates here .