Whistleblower findings document how ALEC is used by corporations to hurt families, communities
On Wednesday, August 3, a teacher, a small business owner, a reverend and a disenfranchised voter will speak out at a press conference to unveil the real human toll of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC)’s "model bills." ALEC is a vehicle by which corporations and politicians collaborate on blueprints for pro-corporate legislation to bring back to the states.
WHAT: A Press Conference to Give Voice to the Victims of the ALEC Agenda
WHEN: Wednesday, August 3, 10:00 AM CDT
- Lisa Graves, Executive Director, Center for Media and Democracy (Moderator)
- Jim Randels, a New Orleans area English teacher, will discuss attacks on public education
- Nicole Schulte will discuss her experience with new Voter-ID laws in Wisconsin
- Todd Landfried, Arizona Employers for Immigration Reform, will discuss the damage caused by draconian anti-immigrant measures
- Rev. Dr. Willie Gable Sr. will discuss the injustice of Louisiana’s new bill against health-care reform
WHERE: Sheraton New Orleans Hotel
Bayside B, 4th Floor
500 Canal Street
New Orleans, LA 70130
LIVE STREAM: The press conference will be live-streamed  for remote viewers.
The American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) is a vehicle through which global corporations and state politicians collaborate and vote behind closed doors to design legislation that benefits the huge corporations funding ALEC. These so-called "model bills" reach into almost every area of American life, and carry serious consequences for the American people by imposing voting restrictions , undermining environmental protections , scapegoating immigrants to profit from the private prison industry  and defunding public education . Learn more here .
In addition, Common Cause will release a report, “Legislating Under the Influence: Money, power and the American Legislative Exchange Council,” which examines how nearly $400 million in campaign contributions to state legislative candidates has helped ALEC secure champions for pro-business bills in Capitols from coast to coast.
# # #