People For the American Way and its affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, are progressive advocacy organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity.
Responsibilities include supporting the Press Secretary with media outreach and editorial products, helping to identify storytellers and stories that support the aims of our campaigns, maintaining press lists, pitching reporters, research, assisting with website maintenance, formatting reports and other products, assisting with social media, editing/production of online videos, supporting celebrity engagement for events and social and earned media. The Communications Associate is expected to fulfill the following responsibilities for the role.
As People For evolves and grows, these responsibilities may change as needed:
- Help teams think holistically about communications needs and goals for each campaign: the right stories, storytellers and audiences.
- Engage constructively with a wide range of electronic, print and broadcast media outlets (including new and traditional media), and social networking sites.
- Write copy and first drafts of booking memos, statements, press releases, op-eds and blogs as needed to assist in the development of internal and external correspondence, to engage print, broadcast, traditional and social media.
- Coordinate closely with the comms, digital and program teams to help identify opportunities for press interviews.
- Assist press secretary with pitching – rapid response and long-lead – for various People For campaigns, national and local breaking news, and developing stories related to People For’s efforts.
- Collaborate with press secretary on interview prep documents, managing interview prep and scheduling and participating in pre-interview prep discussions.
- Assist with high-level message development for People For campaigns, rapid response, leadership and external stakeholders.
- Lead media strategy and outreach for Right Wing Watch by constructively engaging print and broadcast media outlets (including new, niche and traditional media).
- Anticipate breaking news and research hot topics and other events to help facilitate media opportunities and content for talking points, public statements.
- Help develop fresh and culturally relevant ideas to keep People For current in this changing media landscape.
- Staff, help coordinate and execute special events, including on-site coordination, collateral development, and speaker coordination, celebrity engagement and related activities.
- Work with communications, digital, and program staff to develop new or revise existing content for the website.
- Coordinate with People For Digital Content Manager for special projects including video interviews, editing, web posting, and scriptwriting.
- Regularly review and provide updates for PFAW’s website content as necessary.
- Edit and/or shoot videos for the web and social media platforms in coordination with the Communications Director and/or Digital Team.
- Assist with weekly reports for distribution to various teams.
- Conduct regular media monitoring for interview clips and story distribution.
- Create/add or delete People For Cision lists based on our work (for example: “Talking about Stacey Abrams” and updating or creating a comprehensive voting rights list).
- Coordinate with vendors on subscriptions, service renewals, etc.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS: WRITING, CRITICAL THINKING, PROBLEM-SOLVING, ADAPTABILITY
- Excellent oral and written communications skills for external and internal communications (email pitching, talking to reporters, internal group presentations, prepping President and CEO for interviews, etc
- Trailblazer within the communications field with 2-4 years of experience in media relations, communications, public relations, or journalism.
- Deep commitment to social, racial, gender, and economic justice.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Adobe creative suite, and Cision platform. Proficiency with basic video clipping/editing tools. Experience using social media analytics tools such as Sprout Social is a plus.
- Experience with design software such as InDesign is a plus.
- Willingness to learn People For’s mission, goals, and objectives and to apply gained knowledge in an organization focused on securing coverage for fast-paced campaigns, maintaining positive partnerships w/ allies, and raising the profiles of rising stars w/in the organization.
- Creative thinker with exceptional attention to detail.
- Knowledge of niche media for diverse audiences, clear understanding of social media and digital communications.
- Ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment and meet multiple deadlines.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and energetic communications professional with good news judgment and a track record of working well with reporters and producers.
- Eagerness to act decisively and independently on various tasks while integrating team and campaign ideas and suggestions.
- The ability to multitask and work both independently and as part of a team with the proven ability to effectively leverage resources, meet multiple deadlines, and balance numerous projects.
- Experience collaborating with a diverse and decentralized staff.
- Equal parts humor, integrity, compassion, and patience are necessary to address the practicalities and challenges of working in a nonprofit environment.
- A hard-working, positive, mission-driven work style.
Compensation: $54,000.00 – $65,000.00
People For the American Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer