People For the American Way and its affiliate, People For the American Way Foundation, are progressive advocacy organizations founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity. The Controller will be a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker working with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), having responsibility for People For’s financial and accounting functions. The Controller supports the day-to-day operations of the Finance department; this position ensures accurate reporting for revenue and expenses to our accounting software system, which results in the monthly and annual financial statements. The Controller provides back up for the other Finance department staff and reports to the CFO. This position is traditionally located in Washington, D.C. but can also be remote (with the ability to travel to D.C. occasionally post-pandemic).
- Oversees all accounts, ledgers, reporting systems and monthly financial statements ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards, regulatory reports, requirements and proper c3/c4 account allocations.
- Assesses information needs of senior leadership and develops systems to generate financial information, reports, and analyses responsive to their needs.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation, monitor cash account balances, and prepare cash position report.
- Reviews payroll processing, prepares and posts related journal entries.
- Maintains internal controls and safeguards for receipt of revenue and expenditures including American Express expenses.
- Working with our outside independent auditors supports the CFO in the annual audit, regulatory compliance, and annual budget preparation process.
- Maintain fixed asset schedules and assure proper depreciation allocations.
- Drives continual improvement of accounting practices and procedures to increase efficiency both within the Finance team and across the organization.
- Spearheads the implementation, operation, and continued improvement of accounting software packages and tools.
- Provides leadership in strengthening internal communications with staff across the organization and promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required with a minimum of ten years of related experience, including c3 and c4 nonprofit organizations with a budget of at least $15 million.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required.
- Significant experience in and advanced knowledge of nonprofit accounting, including sophisticated fund and grant accounting, compliance, and reporting.
- Experience in coordinating audit activities
- Deep knowledge of automated financial systems and system integration with non-financial applications.
- Extensive experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll transactions and processes for a complex nonprofit organization with multiple funding sources to ensure flawless audits.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP including the accounting cycle, monthly and year-end closing, financial reporting, and analysis.
- Proficiency in complex spreadsheet design.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with an ability to interpret and explain complex financial concepts and information to non-experts at all levels of the organization.
- Keen analytic, organizational, and problem-solving skills to provide strategic data interpretation, rather than simple reporting.
- Strong commitment to People For’s issues, campaigns and racial justice, including protecting our democracy, defending fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect progressive values
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, collaboration, collegiality, and a demonstrated commitment to the People For’s mission
To apply: Please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]
People For the American Way is an Equal Opportunity Employer