People For the American Way is a national advocacy organization dedicated to making the promise of America real for every American: Equality. Freedom of speech. Freedom of religion. The right to seek justice in a court of law. The right to cast a vote that counts. The American Way. The Digital Campaigns Associate is an integral part of a dynamic online program including the organization’s various web properties, social media channels, and hundreds of thousands of activists nationwide.
The Digital Campaigns Associate works to engage and mobilize progressive activists in support of our advocacy campaigns. The ideal candidate is an energetic and creative thinker who can work collaboratively with other staff to create and test strategies to generate effective activist campaigns. This position reports to the Senior Director of Digital and Organizing and works with the Digital Strategy team and staff across multiple departments and programs. This position is traditionally located in Washington, D.C. but can also be remote (with the ability to travel to D.C. occasionally post-pandemic).
- Support online and online-to-offline campaigns using email, SMS, social media, and other primarily digital tools to increase grassroots participation and visibility.
- Help plan and execute digital advocacy and fundraising campaigns at the federal and state levels around key policy priorities, judicial and other nominations, and electing progressive candidates.
- Write, build, and test email action alerts, online actions like petitions, and donation pages.
- Work collaboratively with coalition partners to pursue shared organizing objectives at the federal, state, and local levels.
- Work with partner organizations and ad platforms to identify and execute joint and sponsored actions and ad campaigns to grow our email list.
- Write content and help develop strategies for online campaigns in email, social media, organizing toolkits, sign-on letters, blog posts, sample letters to the editor, and more.
- Provide reporting on campaign performance and test results; provide analysis and recommendations for continual improvement.
- Provide quality assurance testing for digital team content.
- Stay current on industry trends and best practices for advocacy and political organizations.
- Train volunteers, activists, and other staff in use of digital tools and effective activism.
Secondary “Supporting Role” Responsibilities:
- Represent the organization at rallies, conferences, legislative hearings, and coalition meetings, and organize local volunteers and activists for phone banks and other events.
- Facilitate engagement with our social media communities, including responding to messages and moderating comments.
- In coordination with digital and communications staff, manage websites and social media properties.
- Strong writing skills and detail-oriented with ability to work under pressure and write, code emails/HTML, and create audience queries quickly
- Strong organizational skills — ability to manage priorities, learn quickly, and multi-task in a rapid response environment, including the ability to manage dozens of concurrent short-term and long-term deadlines
- A strong commitment to the mission of the organization to advance progressive values and defend the fundamental constitutional rights of all
- At least 1-3 years of experience in organizing using digital tools in some capacity
- Ability and willingness to work irregular hours sometimes, in order to execute events, make deadlines, and hit important campaign targets
- Ability to “hit the ground running” and perform the responsibilities of this job with comfort, confidence, and light supervision
Preferred But Not Required:
- College degree or compatible experience
- Direct experience with digital organizing in an advocacy or campaign environment
- Experience with HTML, CSS, eCRM systems (experience with ActionKit is a bonus), and CMS systems (such as WordPress)
- Understanding of campaign metrics, analytics, and A/B testing
Send resume and a detailed cover by email to [email protected]. No telephone calls please. Your cover letter should include:
- Why do you want to work for People For the American Way?
- What appeals to you in particular about the organization, our work, or the issues on which we focus?
- How are your own values reflected in PFAW’s mission and how do you wish to see those values practiced and promoted both in your work and in the workplace?
- What makes you a stand-out candidate for this position, based on your experiences or particular skillset?
Compensation: $45,000 – $54,668
People For the American Way is an equal opportunity employer.