Young People For (YP4) is a social justice incubator. We provide life-long social justice leadership training to unlock the potential of young people historically left out of opportunity. We are a national network that centers black, brown, indigenous, disabled, and LGBTQ+ leaders in education, media, politics, business, government, and everywhere. There are two components of our work, the year-long Fellowship for college- aged folks and the intergenerational Alumni network comprised of over 2,000 young people.
At the center of our work is Civic engagement as we believe at the core of social justice is civic engagement. The Policy and Civic Engagement Coordinator is critical in providing our Fellows, Alumni and community members with high quality, trainings, webinars and policy analysis.
The position is located in Washington, DC and reports to YP4’s Public Affairs and Policy Manager.
- In collaboration with the Public Affairs and Policy Manager, set annual, quarterly, and monthly department goals and develop work plans to ensure that goals and deliverables are met.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of YP4’s integrated policy products – including advocacy toolkits, issue briefs, reports, policy statements, and talking points;
- In coordination with the Public Affairs and Policy Manager, support YP4’s efforts to develop policy resources which amplify the impact of Fellow- and alumni-led grassroots campaigns across the country;
- Work collaboratively with the Fellowship Department to coordinate YP4’s supplemental educational and mobilizing tracks: our Vote Program and our Cohorts Matter Cohort;
- Train and support YP4 Fellows and alumni to implement impactful, nonpartisan civic engagement programs on campuses and in communities;
- Provide research and curriculum support to the Fellowship Department around the issues of civic participation and engagement;
- Lead the revision and creation of YP4 advocacy toolkits to share strategies and tips for youth organizing;
- Oversee the development of an annual YP4 policy agenda;
- Alongside the Public Affairs and Policy Manager and Director, responsible for building and sustaining local, state, regional, and national relationships to advance YP4’s policy and organizing goals;
- In concert with the rest of the Public Affairs and Policy team, develop and implement innovative strategies to mobilize the YP4 network around shared organizing principles;
- Support efforts to strengthen relationships with key local, state, and national partnerships/alliances to influence programming which furthers the mission and vision of YP4;
- Where appropriate, represent the Young People For team at local, state, regional, and national conferences and events.
- 1-2 years related experience including grassroots, political, student or youth organizing; policy writing and/or advocacy work;
- Candidates must have excellent communications skills — including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences through various mediums, including email, conference calls, public speaking engagements, and in-person coalition meetings;
- Experience with communications, social media, and web-based communications as a tool for network and program growth;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be well organized, detail—oriented and able to manage competing priorities and frequent deadlines;
- Previous experience generating content for reports, issue briefs, op-ed’s, or talking points strongly desired;
- Familiarity with legislative tracking technologies or past work experience tracking local, state, and federal legislation preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, fluency in English and Spanish desired.
- Strong commitment to professional development.
- Ability to work independently, with supervision, and as part of a team.
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally and to work additional hours when needed.
- Familiarity with tools and resources that social media provides young organizers (Twitter campaigns, Facebook, hashtag creation);
- Flexibility, resourcefulness, ability to manage multiple projects and/or events, and meet frequent deadlines;
- Familiarity with progressive issues and a commitment to the issues Young People For works on.
To apply: Send resume and statement of interest to Human Resources, People For the American Way Foundation, 1101 15th Street NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20005. Email [email protected] No phone calls please.
Position Level: Exempt
Position Compensation: $45,000–$54,668
YP4 is a part of the People for the Way Foundation family. Together, People For and YP4 are building a long-term network of emerging leaders committed to protecting our nation’s fundamental rights and freedoms. People For the American Way Foundation conducts research, legal, and education work on behalf of First Amendment freedoms and democratic values; monitors, exposes, and challenges the Religious Right movement and its political allies; identifies, trains, and supports the next generation of progressive leaders through its Young People For youth leadership programs and its Young Elected Officials Network; and carries out nonpartisan voter education, registration, civic participation, and election protection activities.
People For the American Way Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer