People For the American Way is a national organization with over one million members and supporters dedicated to defending constitutional and civil rights and promoting the democratic values of citizen participation, freedom of expression, freedom of religion, and respect for diversity.
The Development Operations Manager works to advance People For’s mission by transforming data into actionable information for fundraising and activist outreach and will be an integral member of a close-knit, coordinated fundraising team. The Operations Manager will lead our work to integrate diverse data streams and deliver targeted, high-value information for a complex fundraising strategy that includes robust direct-response marketing across mail, telemarketing, and online channels; a high-touch major gifts, events, and foundation program; and rapidly expanding planned giving outreach.
This Washington, D.C. based position reports to the Director of Development of Operations and Analytics.
- Work with development, campaigns, and digital staff to retrieve information from the organizational membership database.
- Serve as liaison with outside database management vendors to request all large file selects; internally script necessary queries and design specialized reports on an ad-hoc basis. Develop and run regular quality control checks of database.
- Perform regular reconciliation of donation deposits against data entry to facilitate reconciliation with finance department records. Review daily financial data entry performed by operation associate.
- Work to normalize and document all standard internal departmental procedures and all procedures implemented by outside vendors. Supervise and document all database changes, including source codes and data-entry procedures.
- Develop and produce weekly and monthly donor and income reports and work with other development staff to develop and produce timely status reports for all cultivation efforts.
- Train new development staff in use of the database and all standard departmental procedures.
- Serve as backup when needed for all data-related duties performed by development associates, including reviewing and processing incoming donations and corresponding data entry.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years related work experience; nonprofit experience desirable.
- Familiarity with relational database with at least 2 years of SQL experience and advanced use of Excel.
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage multiple priorities and frequent deadlines.
- Interest or experience in development required; direct mail or accounting experience helpful.
- Technical training/documentation and project-management experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Ability to work both independently and in collaboration with others.
- Strong commitment to PFAW’s values, issues, and campaigns, including racial justice, protecting our democracy, defending fundamental rights, and fighting for policies that reflect progressive values.
Compensation range: $64,256 to $96,383