Washington, D.C.— Following Donald Trump’s nomination of Seventh Circuit judge Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court seat formerly held by the late Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, People For the American Way President Ben Jealous released the following statement:
“It is no surprise that Donald Trump has nominated another anti-health care, anti-choice judge to the U.S. Supreme Court. The test now is for Republican senators: will they follow Trump and Mitch McConnell over the cliff in ramming this disastrous nomination through? Or will they stand up for their constituents who want their health care protected and expanded during this pandemic, and the millions of Americans who could lose coverage for preexisting conditions? It comes down to this: Senators who ignore the will of the people so they can put another nail in the coffin of health care are putting another nail in the coffins of their own constituents. Come November, voters will remember this betrayal.”
The most recent polling shows that a majority of Americans, 62%, including many Republicans, believes the next president should choose Ginsburg’s successor.
Also today, People For the American Way released a report on Barrett’s record on the Seventh Circuit of Appeals. Among other things, the report notes:
- Barrett sharply criticized the Supreme Court for upholding the now ten-year-old health care law that assures coverage for preexisting conditions, and wrote that the law’s coverage requirements were unconstitutional.
- Barrett has signaled her hostility to Roe v. Wade.
- In just under three years on the federal bench, Barrett has accrued a record that raises alarms around issues of health care as well as racial equity, criminal justice, immigrants’ rights and the rights of working people.
- Barrett dismissed a case filed by a patient who was injured in a health care exam, citing a minor mistake made by the patient in filing her complaint.
- Barrett voted to deny a rehearing to a Black man whose employer assigned staff to particular stores based on their race, essentially giving the nod to a modern-day example of racist “separate but equal” segregation practices.
- Barrett joined a ruling that job applicants cannot hold an employer accountable for hiring practices that have a discriminatory impact on older workers.
About People For the American Way
People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity. Learn more: http://www.pfaw.org.