Washington, D.C.— People For the American Way, an organization with more than 1.5 millions members nationwide, today sent a letter to the House of Representatives expressing strong support for H.R. 4617, the Stopping Harmful Interference in Elections for a Lasting Democracy (SHIELD) Act. The SHIELD Act was originally sponsored by Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA/19) and is set for markup in the Committee on House Administration tomorrow, Oct. 16.
“The timing for this legislation couldn’t be more relevant, as evidence mounts regarding the scheme undertaken by President Trump, Rudy Giuliani and others to engage Ukraine’s help in the president’s re-election campaign,” said Marge Baker, PFAW Executive Vice President for Policy and Program. “The House should move promptly to pass the SHIELD Act and continue to work diligently to protect the integrity of our elections.”
The letter notes that the legislation:
- Creates a duty to report illicit offers of campaign assistance from foreign governments and their agents.
- Helps prevent foreign interference in future elections by improving transparency of online political advertisements.
- Closes loopholes that allow foreign nationals and foreign governments to spend in U.S. elections.
- Restricts exchange of campaign information between candidates and foreign governments and their agents.
- Prohibits deceptive practices about voting procedures.
Read the full text of the letter here: http://files.pfaw.org/uploads/2019/10/2019-10-15-PFAWletter-ShieldAct.pdf
About People For the American Way
People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and build a democratic society that implements the ideals of freedom, equality, opportunity and justice for all. We encourage civic participation, defend fundamental rights, and fight to dismantle systemic barriers to equitable opportunity. Learn more: www.pfaw.org.