WASHINGTON—Today, People For the American Way’s Next Up Victory Fund announced endorsements of state and local candidates in Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania. Next Up supports young progressive candidates forty and under running for state and local office across the country. The program helps candidates win races in the short term while creating a pipeline of leaders to run for higher office in years to come.
Our endorsed candidates in Maine are:
- Marpheen Chann – Portland City Council District 5
- Ben Chin – Mayor of Lewiston
Our endorsed candidates in Massachusetts are:
- Nadya Okamoto – Cambridge City Council
- Sumbul Siddiqui – Cambridge City Council
- Adriane B. Musgrave – Cambridge City Council
- Vatsady Sivongxay – Cambridge City Council
Our endorsed candidates in New Jersey are:
- Christine Lui Chen – State Senate District 23
- Balvir Singh – Freeholder, Burlington County
- Harrison Burke – Hillsborough Township Committee
Our endorsed candidates in New York are:
- Gregory Young – Gloversville City Council Ward 5
- Jack Harrington – Brookhaven Town Supervisor
- Jimmy Pearson – Dutchess County Legislature District 25
Our endorsed candidates in Pennsylvania are:
- Heather Ward – Tredyffrin/Easttown School Board Region 3
- Rod Irish – Washington Township Supervisor
- Beth Jacksier – Bridgeport City Council Ward 1
- Mark Barbee – Mayor of Bridgeport
- Chuck Black – Williamsport Area School Board
- Jenna Ott – North Penn School Board
- Liz Kishbaugh – Mifflin County Register and Recorder
In addition, the Next Up Victory Fund previously endorsed Carlina Rivera, Corey Johnson and Dylan Schwartz for New York City Council seats.
Michael Keegan, People For the American Way president:
“The Next Up Victory Fund is building the bench of winning progressive candidates across the country. Not only do these candidates have a deep commitment to the communities they want to serve, but they are helping build power in the progressive movement nationwide. We are excited to support these young leaders who can work from the ground up and put in place policies that reflect our shared American values.”
Lizet Ocampo, People For the American Way political director:
“The Next Up Victory Fund was created to help support the next generation of progressive leaders in races across the country. Through Next Up we are providing resources for young candidates to help them win so they can put their ideas into actions. We’re proud to support this group of candidates today who are ready and willing to win today and tackle the challenges of tomorrow.”
More information about the Next Up Victory Fund and the candidates can be found here.
People For the American Way is a progressive advocacy organization founded to fight right-wing extremism and defend constitutional values including free expression, religious liberty, equal justice under the law, and the right to meaningfully participate in our democracy.