What’s at Stake
The American Way is rooted in the freedom to vote and the guarantee that our vote will be fairly counted and that we will be fairly represented.
What We’re Doing
People For the American Way is defending democracy from attempted coups, voter suppression, and election subversion by:
- inspiring and mobilizing support for implementation of recommendations by the House Select Committee to Investigate the Jan. 6 Attack on the U.S. Capitol
- building momentum at the state level toward passage of sweeping federal voting rights and money in politics reform legislation
- increasing voter participation by Black men, who are frequently targeted by misinformation and voter suppression campaigns
What We’ve Accomplished
People For the American Way has fought for decades to make the promise of true representative democracy a reality, based on the foundation of one person, one vote.
- Our African American Religious Affairs network originated the concept of the Get Out the Vote program “Souls to the Polls” now adopted by Black churches across the country
- People For advocates and legal experts were among the first to organize Election Protection brigades, which continue today
- Our Defend the Black Vote campaign successfully mobilizes Black men to the polls via direct texting and outreach, with nearly 70 percent of men we engaged casting a ballot in the program’s first year
- In 2021, we joined with the League of Women Voters to organize a series of high-profile civil disobedience demonstrations at the White House in favor of voting rights legislation – pressure acknowledged by the White House and reflected in President Biden’s shifting his position on filibuster reform
- The research of our Right Wing Watch team was cited by the bipartisan Jan. 6 Committee investigating the insurrection at the Capitol
We are more than one million members, activists, and advocates fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Way.