Washington D.C. – People For the American Way is proud to announce its first-ever slate of school board endorsees as part of its official endorsements in the 2023 Virginia elections. The endorsements come as school boards and school board elections have become ground zero for the Far Right’s efforts to impose censorship and book banning on public schools.
The slate of 14 extraordinary endorsees includes several first-time candidates, progressive incumbents running against MAGA opponents, a campus minister, a Black American and Civil War historian, and the cousin of legendary labor and civil rights icon Dolores Huerta.
“These are the Virginia school board candidates we believe in,” said People For the American Way President Svante Myrick. “We are especially proud to endorse these school board candidates in Virginia’s 2023 election because they are progressive champions for public education who are dedicated to fighting for the next generation’s freedom to learn. These candidates will resist authoritarian attacks on inclusive education and will fight for schools where all students can thrive and learn, in environments that respect their experiences and the full truth of our nation’s history.”
People For’s “Truth Target” counties where these bold candidates are running face consequential choices about the education of more than 1.1 million public school students. People For is also urging voters to support a referendum for an elected school board in the Richmond suburb of Hanover, VA.
“People For’s endorsements in key school board races cap off months of work to stand with bold progressive leaders running up and down the ballot in Virginia’s 2023 elections for school boards, commonwealth’s attorney, and the state legislature – essential in the local and national fight for truth, justice, and The American Way,” said People For the American Way National Political Director Markus Batchelor. “In the final weeks of this election season, People For will mobilize our members and our resources to bring these candidates over the finish line and win a progressive majority in Virginia.”
View all endorsee bios, here.
- Alicia Atkins for Henico County Public School Board
- Tracy Blake for Prince William County School Board
- Max Blalock for Williamsburg-James City School Board
- April Moore Chandler for Loudoun County School Board
- Mateo Dunne for Williamsburg-James City School Board
- Karl Frisch for Fairfax County School Board
- Madison Irving for Henrico County School Board
- Lauranett Lee for Chesterfield County School Board
- Megan Lockwood for Loudoun County School Board
- Randy Riffle for Williamsburg-James City School Board
- Marcia St. John-Cunning for Fairfax County School Board
- Damon Walker for Williamsburg-James City School Board
- Loree Williams, Prince William County School Board
- Lisa Zargarpur for Prince William County School Board
- YES for an elected Hanover County School Board
# # #
About People For the American Way: People For the American Way, a national progressive advocacy organization, inspires and mobilizes community and cultural leaders to advance Truth, Justice and the American Way. We convene courageous Americans, produce compelling media and organize campaigns to defend our democracy from authoritarian threats and advance America’s promise that everyone will enjoy freedom, safety and a vote that counts. Learn more: http://www.pfaw.org