What’s at stake
When we have fair courts, abusive law enforcement officials are held accountable for unjustified violence; our right to vote is protected from attack; laws protecting consumers and working people are enforced; people have better access to legally protected health care, including abortion care; we can better protect our communities from dangerous toxins and more effectively address climate change; and more.
And that’s why the Far Right has worked so hard to capture our courts – and why we have to take them back.
What we’re doing
People For the American Way is fighting for fair courts by:
- Supporting federal judicial nominees who understand that the justice system should protect all of us – not just the wealthy and well-connected,
- Working to establish a binding code of ethics for the Supreme Court, and
- Modifying the tools far-right senators have abused to block fair-minded judges and create unequal systems of justice in their states.
Take Action: Help confirm fair-minded judges
We’re working to make sure everyone has access to fair courts – no matter where they live. You can help. Take action today to help confirm fair-minded judges!
What we’ve accomplished
People For the American Way is proud of our work to help ensure we have judges who will work for all of us – not just the wealthy and powerful. Through our grassroots mobilization, education and activism campaigns, we have contributed to the confirmation of fair-minded federal judges and stopped the confirmation of unsuitable nominees – while raising the prominence of federal courts in the minds of progressive activists.
- With members and allies, we helped ensure confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson, the first Black woman on the Supreme Court.
- We’ve activated our members and allies to help confirm over 100 fair-minded judges during the Biden administration.
- In 1987, People For the American Way was instrumental in keeping far-right nominee Robert Bork off the U.S. Supreme Court, with a high-profile campaign that included a famous TV ad featuring Gregory Peck, and that fight has continued through the years.